Monday, April 26, 2010

Food breakdown so far

Alright the food here is interesting to say the least. Here are the highlights so far.

There is ham and pork everywhere. People absolutely love it. They even having a saying that if you're a vegetarian you still eat pork because its that important. We have yet to seen any sign of turkey and even chicken is relatively rare. There is also ham hanging from every other store in the window. Ham = King, Greg I'm sure you're salivating.

Olive oil comes by the gallon and the largest juice container we could find has about 6 drinks worth it in. Need some damn juice people. Olive oil > Juice. People can't handle spice here, period. I used some red pepper spice tonight and Miriam said she couldn't eat it because it was so hot. I can't stress enough how mild it was.

I'm not proud of it but we had McDonald's at the airport. At this point we just needed any kind of food. Their most popular meal is the CBO (Chicken Bacon Onion). Not sure how a vegetable makes it into the acronym. It comes on a square sesame seed bun. Also the menu is in order just like in the US except they don't have numbers for their combo meals so its pointless.

They love mayonnaise, they don't have single cold drinks in the grocery store, shopping carts are 50 cents, milk mainly comes in a box, and the grocery stores reek of nasty fish I can't begin to describe. Finally here is the biggest refrigerated vending machine I've ever seen. It was in the metro station.

3 comments:

  1. FINALLY my long-held views on ham are affirmed. Though that note on spice is troubling, I'm reading now that Spain is largely into a Mediterranean diet, which while making sense, is totally weak. I'll bring a selection of hot sauces for you (read: pockets full of Taco Bell packets).

    I do recall the drink container sizes "issue" now that you mention it. However, the water bottles they have over there are enormous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bought some tabasco today, fucking 2.50 euros which equates to $3.30. Only other options were "salsa picante" aka mild sauce. I'm really aiming to increase this countries spice level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, Greg you would have a field day over here putting hot sauce on everything. I mean, like kyle said its more like mild sauce but thats your style anyway.

    ReplyDelete